Monday, December 29, 2008

My Corner Of The World

I’m a woman. At least that’s what the people in this corner of the globe call creatures created like me. I’m a child bearing machine .Education is not for lesser known beings like me. Men are Beings I help create, nurture and protect. Those beings who make my life miserable. It is the same blood and flesh. But the difference is hidden somewhere beneath the skin. Someplace called the society, which narrows down to you and me ,at some point. Something called humanity, which is just a fantasy in my corner of the globe. I call it my corner of the globe.
I’m clothed from head to toe. I’ve never been to school. I’m a commodity that gets sold to a sack of flesh and bones, with out a heart. I don’t have a choice. My life is not under my control. Its manipulated my millions of invisible doctrines and baseless beliefs .In my part of the world one women dies every 27 minutes due to complications during pregnancy. The reasons are quite simple:
In my corner of the globe women are not allowed access to education. And men don’t allow women to visit male doctors.(how do people handle this situation here, women are not allowed education. that means they cant study to become doctors. And they are not allowed to visit male doctors)This means pregnancies are handled by incompetent mid wives. This is the reason that for every 100,000 births 6500 young mothers die, each year. Young means most of these girls are below 16 years of age.
Women are incomplete with out men in their lives,atleast thats wat ppl belive in ,in my corner of the globe.65% of widows in my corner of the world resort to suicide .This is a peek into my corner of the world after the Taliban left it:
“Kandhar schoools empty after acid attack on girls
“This year, the rate of violence against women in Kunduz, especially rape of small girls has increased by two times compared to last year. Expressing concern over this situation”
“,Afghan education authorities say they are facing a difficult task of convincing parents to send their daughters to school as attacks on female students have increased in recent months. Three girls sustained severe burns in the southern town of Kandahar earlier in the week when unknown men sprayed acid on up to 15 girls
"more than 80% of afghans face mental health problems"
“More than 80% Afghans are faced by due to long war and economic depravity, where as child stress has increased by 30%, compared to the past”

“ “As Afghanistan's most senior and most famous female police officer, based in the country's ultra-conservative south, Lieut.-Col. Malalai Kakar knew she was a marked woman. On Sunday, two days after taking part in a Canadian event to mark the end of Islam's holiest month, insurgents grimly confirmed her fears, shooting Kakar dead as she left her house”
There is no law to check crimes againt women in my corner of the world.Since it ia a corner I cant run or hide.Im just waiting.Waiting in darkness.against time,with hope.Hope for a better tomorrow for my daughters.
K this is what I would have felt if I lived in Afghanistan. Women are the same all over r the globe, whether in a corner or at the centre. This is my reaction towards an article I read a few days back in the news paper about girls at schools in afghan being attacked .

5 comments:

Karthik said...

One of the girls spoke courageously from her hospital bed, with yellow ointment covering an eye damaged by the acid. ''I will go to my school even if they kill me,'' she told reporters. ``My message for the enemies is that if they do this 100 times, I am still going to continue my studies.''

swathi paul(dew drop) said...

thanks:)

Lancelot said...

Very strong words swathi- I really appreciate it- wish to see you as a Deepa Mehta in future- Media can do wonders and the change everyone is asking for can be you from the media side- Good to know you...

Chellam Neerajah said...

Hey as i said you this i
s good and more
words to say.

Chellam Neerajah said...

Hey Swathi I have left 2 post please look it on.